defocustracking.com is built for the community and everyone who is interested in or can benefit from the use of defocusing-based particle tracking. Please take part as much as you can and would like to.

To register to the forum, please send an email to admin@defocustracking.com.

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Ideas for creating a GUI for the Defocus Tracker

Hi Guys,

I am currently working on the idea of creating a Graphical User Interface for the Defocus Tracker in order to make the usability a little easier, especially for first time users. This should give the user an alternative to experience the Defocus Tracker, additionally to working with the code.

In GDPTlab, which was also released by Mr. Barnkob and Mr. Rossi, we were already facing a GUI. Maybe some one has been working with this one as well and already has an impression of what it could look like.
So far, the Defocus Tracker provides us with WorkTrough Examples, that are giving us an idea, an impression on how to use it properly and guide us through the process of evaluating a couple of experiments.

However, if you're new to this, the software might appear a little complex at first sight and I think a GUI would make it more straightforward for the user to approach this mighty tool.

So I was wondering what sort of ideas you guys as Defocus Tracker Users might be thinking of, when it comes to creating a GUI for Defocus Tracker and how this could be tackled in the best way.

Just some thoughts which might be coming up for discussion:
What kind of schedule should this GUI follow, what sort of information procedure would come to your mind?
What should be emphasized in using the Defocus Tracker, how should data be involved?
Any thoughts or desires regarding the design?

With what other features could the user experience be improved?
What would be important to you, when you would be using a GUI for working with the Defocus Tracker?

Just let me know any idea in any area that comes to your mind 🙂

Best, Marco

Rune has reacted to this post.
Rune

For me, my fist idea was something like a more automated process compared to the GDPTlab.
You can compare it to an InstallWizard, which is guiding you through the process step by step and only requiring and asking for the information that is relevant at this very moment.
Before the next step is available, we would need to finish the present one. At some point, a loading of previous calibrations or whole experiments shall be possible as well, in case you are working with an experiment setup over a longer time span, that doesn’t need to be calibrated every single time.

This GUI would be orientated at the workflow of the Work Trough Examples. For each step we could provide Pop-Up windows asking for the relevant information, so we don’t have to deal with too many decisions at the same time.
For each decision required, we could also evaluate a help/explanation window to the current step, so the user will know what to do, similar to the comments in the WTEs.
Regarding the figures appearing, I would reduce their quantity a little bit and show some, like the calibration image set, only on demand.

So, the goal is to let this Wizard guide you through the evaluation process of the Defocus tracker in the most convenient way possible.

What do you think?
Any thoughts on how to improve or complete this idea? 🙂

Rune has reacted to this post.
Rune

Hello Marco,

a GUI would be a nice feature. I think a GUI could really structure the function of the code and make the code easier to use because it provides a visual overview.

I had to think directly of PIVlab by William Thielicke as an example. There you can follow the tabs from left to right and it has a kind of guideline. I also appreciate it when you can choose an option, but at the same time, if there is already a recommended setting, with a short explanation.

Best

Stefan

Rune and Marco Menz have reacted to this post.
RuneMarco Menz

Dear Marco,

I will be using GDPTlab for the first* time the upcoming weeks. 
*Actually, I have visited one workshop on GDPTlab (@University of Twente) already more than a year ago, but after that I never worked with it again.

Perhaps I can make a short list of (personal) recommendations/notes and unclear points that new users like me might experience. I will be going over the tutorials first and later try to analyze personal data sets of colloids.

In the future, I would like to use GDPTlab to track E.Coli bacteria, starting in 2D and hopefully extend it to 3D. During this process I will be posting my progress and I am more then happy to help improve/... this platform.

Kind regards,
Twan Wilting 

Rune and Marco Menz have reacted to this post.
RuneMarco Menz

Hi Stefan, Hi Twan,

thanks for your comments!

The PIVlab looks like a mighty tool, I will try and see what I can implement as well.
There should for sure be a way to combine the tabs and the guideline.

The workshop with GDTPlab is also always a good foundation to start with the DefocusTracker, as you get a good understanding of how the process works overall.
You'll be familiar with the topic quite fast again 🙂

Also check out the newly published WorkThrough Example 3, as well as the first two.
They will provide a fundamental understanding of how to work with the DefocusTracker.
Personal experiences during your use of the code sure are always helpful and welcome!

Thanks and best,
Marco